Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Too Much or Too Little GW2?

Last night, I typed /age in the chat box to find out how much time I had been playing so far. It said 223 hours over all characters. So a quick bit of math reveals that I've spent the 37.2% of my life in Tyria over the last 25 days. Eeeks! That is a LOT. That is kinda crazy.

But but but...here are my excuses! (Or techniques?)
I work from home so any moment that I have between jobs, I can pop online and play a bit. (Like right now, when I'm blogging as I wait for the next file to come in.) Working from home also means I don't waste valuable gaming time with commuting.
I don't have a husband or kids to distract me from my game. The only real world aggro I get is from my kitty cat.
All my friends are gamers too. So when I want to hang out with my buds, they're exactly where I want to be anyway! No annoying trips to the movies or out for coffee.
Most of my family lives far away and demands little of me. My younger sister and her family live in the same town as me, and they are one of the few reasons I will turn off GW2 and leave the house. In fact, Headstart Weekend was the weekend of my niece's 4th birthday, and I spent two full days with her instead of in game.

Wait a second here! I just realized how easy it could be to have more in-game time. If I get rid of my job, cat, and family, I could be a true gaming addict!
But am I an addict already? I don't think so. I love the game. I'm having fun. I'm still working, spending time with friends and family, and remembering to feed myself. Sure, my hair has a permanent dent in it from my headset. Yeah, I could do with a bit of sun. But who needs all that? Tanned, outdoorsy folk are so 1970s! This is the....um...'10s? This is the age when we send texts rather than letters, emails rather than call, and Skype rather than visit.

Sigh. Not sure where I'm going with all this. I'm not proud or impressed or surprised by my 37.2%. It is what it is. I love my life. I'm happy. Actually, I'm having more fun than I've had in quite a while! The last few weeks have been a barrel of laughs. I've made new friends and reconnected with old ones, I've learned new skills, and I've even kept up my ability to use proper grammar by writing this blog. :D

What do you think? Do you have people in your life that feel you game too much? Do you feel you game too much? Do you sometimes stop gaming because you think you "should" and then spend all that time wishing you were kicking pirate butt or discovering a new vista?
Welcome to my world. Glad you could join me! Care for a quick run through CM?  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment